It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:15 pm

Bernina 180 software 

Machines: Bernina 180

Software: Looking for some software for my machine...
Post Bernina 180 software
Hi! I just bought a bernina 180...but am missing the software for our computer. So, I am looking for what is compatiable with the Bernina 180 so I can start buying designs etc. Please any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Fri May 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Machines: Viking Rose, Viking Designer 1, Janome 350e, Viking 850 Serger

Software: Embird 2006, Janome 10000, Viking (old version)

I am not good at any of them! LOL!
Post Re: Bernina 180 software
Hi, Michelle and welcome! I think Embird might work with the Bernina and it might be the cheapest solution for you. But, I am not sure and there are a number of Bernina users here so I am sure they will pitch in with help.

Fri May 08, 2009 12:46 pm

Machines: Bernina 830, Bernina 580, Babylock Imagine Serger, Janome CP 900 Coverstitch, Janome Expression Needle Felting Machine, Singer Spartan (for quilting)

Software: Artista Editor + V.5, Embird, Sew What Pro 64, Artlink 6
mizlilly had a 180 at one time, I think. I started out my Bernina "career" with a 200e and Artista Editor software V.4, bought separately, of course. The issue with Embird is that you can convert .art (Bernina) files to other formats in Embird, but you cannot "save" other formats as .art files. You will need at least a Magic Box or some other Bernina compatible reader-writer box and a blank re-writable card and Artlink (not sure of the version for Artlink, but would have come with the machine). Or, you can use Bernina cards (expensive way to go!) I just saw my first 180 up close and personal last weekend and noticed that it had a card slot, but no USB port. I would pose your questions to either Mizlilly or Shirl. Sorry, I am not much help in Bernina versions prior to the 200e. I wish I could be of more assistance!

Fri May 08, 2009 12:56 pm

Machines: Bernina 830, Bernina 153, Brother 6700D (Quattro 2), Babylock Enlighten, Babylock Coverhem, Bernina White Pearl, Babylock Sashiko

Software: Bernina Artista version 6, Monogram Wizard Plus/Extended Features
I had a Bernina 180 and it was absolutely my best and happiest embroidery machine, so congratulations! There are two main things to consider: software that will work for your machine and how you will get the designs into the machine. The computer connection to the 180 is a serial cable. There are USB to serial converters that should work.

You need ART version 3 I think (unless there was an update to a higher version after I sold my machine) which any Bernina Artista software can write. However, even the simplest Artista software (Editor) is kind of pricey. I got Artista software with my 180 so I have never used any other software with my machines. Generations from OESD will also work I think. You need software that not only reads but also writes ART.

You should have received Artlink software with your machine, and also CPS. CPS has both regular machine stitches and embroidery designs that you can swap out. It is rather slow and not user friendly IMO but there are lots of nice designs and stitches, so it is worthwhile. It will work on an XP computer, but I am not sure about Vista. Artlink will allow you to send ART designs to your machine, but I am not sure that it will do anything else. I don't think so.

The other route to consider is one of the converter boxes. They come with software that allows you to write to a card that then goes into your machine. They are USB so no issues with a serial cable. I think the software is very simple, but since it will write ART for you it may give you other options when it comes to software to combine, re-size, add lettering, etc.

Hopefully Susan and some of the other Bernina owners will be by soon with their great advice! Happy stitching.

Fri May 08, 2009 1:19 pm
Marie's Angel
Marie's Angel

Machines: Bernina 180,1130,1300MDC serger
Pfaff Creative Vision

Software: Artista v5
First...welcome to the haven...so many helpful stitchers here and hopefully will get your questions answered so you can enjoy your new machine. I love my 180, but am of little help with software options...I've always used Artista, first ver3 and now ver5. I've also always just kept my machine directly connected to the computer, so have not had to deal with cards and boxes. While you're waiting for more answers regarding software...do try out some of the lovely designs built into the machine.

Fri May 08, 2009 2:37 pm
Challenge Winner
Challenge Winner

Machines: Bernina 180E, Bernina 1230,
Babylock BMP6,
Viking 936 serger

Software: Bernina Artista ver. 5
Welcome also Michelle! I have the same as Roxann, so don't have much help for you. I assume that you got the machine used and it didn't have even Artlink with it. (BTW, the stories I hear is that the 180 is the best of that era and very few people get rid of them) Maybe you can check with a Bernina dealer and see if you can buy just the Artlink -- or find out if it would be legal to have someone sell/give it to you. Otherwise, I think the others are correct, you will need a box ( $200-300 I think). Oh, and yes, the conversion cable Mizlilly mentioned works fine if you don't have a serial port on your computer.

I wish you well with your quest!

Fri May 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Thank your so much for all your help!

:D

I am looking at buying V3.1 would this be compatible with bernina 180? And would I need anything else?

Sat May 16, 2009 12:07 am

Thank you so much for your help! :D I am so glad that I found this forum...our bernina store in my town picked up out of the hancock and dont think its coming back. So I was so lost.

I think that I have one last quick question...we just bought artlink version 3.1, is this going to be the only thing we need to buy?

Thanks again for your help! Thank You

Sun May 17, 2009 12:26 am

Machines: Viking Rose, Viking Designer 1, Janome 350e, Viking 850 Serger

Software: Embird 2006, Janome 10000, Viking (old version)

I am not good at any of them! LOL!
Michelle, I am just moving this to the top so everyone can see your latest question. If you don't get an answer try posting the question as a different topic.

You are going to sew love machine embroidery and there is always someone here who can tackle just about any question you might have!

Sun May 17, 2009 7:13 pm

Machines: Bernina 830, Bernina 580, Babylock Imagine Serger, Janome CP 900 Coverstitch, Janome Expression Needle Felting Machine, Singer Spartan (for quilting)

Software: Artista Editor + V.5, Embird, Sew What Pro 64, Artlink 6
HI Michelle. Your Artlink software will allow you to use a reader/writer box (I used a Magic Box, but I beleive others will convert .ART files, as well). You need the reader/writer box to convert other formats to .ART and to transport any downloaded files that are .ART format already to your embroidery machine. You would find it super expensive to buy just Artista embroidery cards. And, you would find it very limiting not to have some way of getting designs from your computer to your machine. So, check into the reader/writer boxes if you don't intend to buy Artista software. It would be your most inexpensive method. That is what I used for at least a year til I bought my software. I bought ONLY Editor because I knew perfectly well that I would never digitize! :lol:

Mon May 18, 2009 8:01 am
Queen Pixie
Queen Pixie

Machines: Janome MB-4 & 11000 SE & 5200QDC, SWF, Singer Xl-6000, Elna Serger 744, Brother Nouv 1500S

Software: Embird, Digitizer Pro, PatternMaker Pro, PCD
as far as I know... you need Artlink to read ART or EXP and send over the design to your machine. If I'm not mistaken, Embird and I think Wilcom as well can convert to EXP at least. Go to this page here to find out where to download either of those 2... and step by step instructions on how to convert with them.

Artlink allows you to pass design from your computer to your machine when the machine is hooked up to the computer so it eliminates the need for a reader/writer box. At least that's how I remember it being.

The software mentionned on the page below will allow you to take any file found on the net and convert it to a format your Artlink will be able to send over to your machine.

Wilcom True Sizer is free... Embird is not... BUT... sooner or later, you'll want to buy Embird as it has all the editing/cataloguing/managing options you'll ever need.

http://www.myembroideryhaven.com/samples.html

Hope this helps.

Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyEmbroideryHaven/

Mon May 18, 2009 11:32 am
Profile WWW

Thanks

I truely appreciate all your help. I think that I am finally getting the embroidery language. :lol:

Thanks again

Tue May 19, 2009 8:24 am
Challenge Winner
Challenge Winner

Machines: Bernina 180E, Bernina 1230,
Babylock BMP6,
Viking 936 serger

Software: Bernina Artista ver. 5
Michelle, I've had my 180 for about 8 years and still don't understand all of the language. I have no idea what CPS, Artlink, or Editor are all about and what any of them will or will not do (although I think I got all of them with my software). Hmmm...there's also something called Explorations to that might have something to do with Bernina. I do know that if you Artista Designer ver.3 you can convert downloaded designs from most formats into .ART and send them to your machine -- as long as you have a serial port on your computer. Hopefully, you have found something that will work for you and you can get to embroidering!

Tue May 19, 2009 12:40 pm