It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:44 pm

Embroidery software: Viking 5D VS Embird 

Machines: Husquarna Ruby, Husqvarna Emerald 118, Old Singer which works like a charm

Software: Quilt software EQ6
Post Embroidery software: Viking 5D VS Embird
Hi everyone, I just bought a "Ruby" and I am considering to buy an embroidery software. Currently I could get the Viking 5D at 50% off at my dealer. As anyone ever used both (Viking 5D and embird) and if so was one easier than the other? From the little I have seen from Vking 5D, it can do great things howerver it is stil a lot of money to invest. Thanks.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:56 am
Marie's Angel
Marie's Angel

Machines: Bernina 180,1130,1300MDC serger
Pfaff Creative Vision

Software: Artista v5
Post Re: Embroidery software: Viking 5D VS Embird
Congrats on your new machine!!! Always an exciting time when we get to bring home a new "baby"!!!!!!
I don't use either of these software programs, but many here have been very happy with Embird and it is available for a 30-day free download so you can play with it and see what it is all about and if it fits your needs. Of course, cost is a factor...but also, consider what you want to do with the software....manipulate designs, merge them, add lettering, etc or do you want/need a full digitizing program where you can do it all? I'm pretty sure that the full packages of either will be able to handle any of your needs/wishes. Embird can be purchased in modules as your needs change. Hopefully, some of our members can help with the programs you're looking at.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:45 am
Challenge Winner
Challenge Winner

Machines: Designer SE, Viking 6020, Viking 6570, White treadle, 1985 singer serger

Software: 4D Pro
Congratulations on your Ruby! You are going to have so much fun! Please consider my comments as a surgeon general sort of warning from someone whom has been sewing and loving it for a long time.

I have a Viking SE and bought 4D pro to go with it. I have been extremely disappointed in Viking's support system. My experience has been that once they had my money I was on my own. I think their SOS system is a rip off when one considers the customer's investment in their product. The dongle policy situation is another, and to me, the most serious downside. I was told if it broke, as long as I had the pieces it would be replaced for $25 or less. At a $120 later for a dongle repair, I decided I would not buy this product or it's upgrade ever again. If the dongle is lost, they will not replace it. You are simply out your software investment. When I bought 4D I wanted software designed for my machine thinking this would create a smoother learning curve. It is a wonderful product, but the lack of support even before 5 came out plus the dongle stranglehold has been an extremely frustrating situation for me. A temporarily lost purse brought home just how vulnerable the dongle makes one. At this point we have not been able to find a viable back up for the dongle. I bought my first Viking in 1971 and until 4D had been a totally happy customer. This has been a bruising experience. I think Embird used to have a sample you can download and explore for 30 days, that might be worth checking out. Please for your own fiscal sanity, get Viking's dongle policy in writing. Mary

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:15 am

Machines: Bernina 200E upgraded
Bernina five thread serger

Software: Artista 5
Explorations
EQ7
As with Roxann I don't have either of the software's you mentioned. But across the board I can tell you this much. In my area there is little or no support for software of any kind, even by the dealers that sell it, they are just not proficient with it and are busy running a business and don't have the time to invest in playing with it to get familiar enough with it to really support it, it is easier to learn their machines, I am sure the profit margin more on machines and the support is way easier. Programs/software require hours of tinkering with it to get proficient. I went to demos for the one I got and fortunately got enough out of it to muddle my way thru. However IF you are not a good self learner and need to be shown, you will probably get as much out of the less expense software as the expensive. As to Marybi's horror with the dongles, there is that to consider, it is a sharp reminder that losing/misplacing/breaking the dongle can have disastrous effect. As with the TOTL sewing machines, each software product offers something another one does not, so that could mean there is a special feature it does that others do not and you have to be in love with that feature. Kind of like the babyloc sergers they have the "wave" stitch and the air threading. If it were me I would first see how long the 50% off offer is on the table, that will determine a lot of what you want to do. I would then ask your dealer to give you some comparison to embird or even another software to illustrate two things to you. How well she knows the software, that will go a long way in knowing that if you have issues you have some help. And two why it might be important to you for a certain feature that is not offered by another product. As in choosing your sewing machine, choosing your software is a consideration. I have no doubt that as with the sewing machine you choose each feature offered is what sways you toward your purchase. Why I choose my machine will not maybe mean anything to you, price might be the ultimate determining factor for you, ease of use for what you are familiar with might be another, a supportive dealer is really key, but useless if they are not knowledgeable about the software. Finally, dedication and determination to make what you have work for you will be the biggest part of the software purchase. As they say embird does have a free trial and if that suits your purposes then that is where I would lean, or even if you are not certain what you want, it is still an economical starting point to learn what you want that it might not offer and what you don't want. Finally determine what feature you want MOST and really feel you have the most need of and see if embird offers that. If not ask yourself how much you would use that feature and how easy it is to use that feature. Sorry did mean to write a book, but as with determining what machine to buy it is not a simple straight forth answer. The main thing is what ever you purchase you are happy with, confident in it and will USE it. Bear in mind also that dealers are going to push you toward all label/name brand items. But since you are on this forum I would imagine you would already know that as with designs, branded stuff is expensive and with a little bit of shopping around you can find some truly amazing designs that are not "branded" and turn out beautifully and every bit as well designed if not better in some cases. :lol: All with varying price tags, available in groups or individual to fit the needs and pocketbook for most anyone.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Machines: Husquarna Ruby, Husqvarna Emerald 118, Old Singer which works like a charm

Software: Quilt software EQ6
Thank you so much ladies for your comments. I will definitely download Embird and play with it for the next few weeks. My previous sewing machine was a Designer 1 with disquette and I was not crazy about using Customizer and the dongle! Thanks again and enjoy your Sunday!

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi: I have had a Designer 1 and now a Designer Diamond. I have never used Viking's software. It is too far out of my price range and I don't digitize or plan to learn to digitize. Embird with Iconizer does everything I need it too. I have never had a problem with it until the last update versions were released. Embird has worked with me diligently to resolve the problem for a month now. (Since the update it will not let me save an edited design). I really believe it is something with my computer (running Windows Vista) and I have followed every suggestion that they told me to do. For now, I have reinstalled the 2010 version which I love! I received email yesterday from Embird that they have another update released and for me to install that one. I will get to that as soon as I can. I really don't think you can go wrong with Embird.

Designer Diamond, D1, Huskylock 905, Sapphire 870
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/ ... ?start=all

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Machines: Designer 1 - original/10+ years old
White Jeans Machine
Huskylock 936
Free (1903 model in a quarter-sawn chestnut cabinet). See an original ad here: http://www.ismacs.net/free/fly11.html

Software: 4D Embroidery - includes Extra with the Organizer and the add-on Design Enhancer.
I have 4D and I like it but probably won't spend the money to upgrade to 5D - I don't have enough time to do embroidery to make the expense worthwhile. The feedback on Embird is good to know! if/when 4D is no longer usable.

you rock

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 am
Profile WWW